Market Cross

Standing just outside the churchyard south gateway is an 12th century cross on a solid base of granite given to the church by Robert Edmund Tonkin, Lord of the Manor of St Buryan.  A Charter of Edward 1 (1302) "grants to the  Dean of the King's Free Chapel of St Berian and his successors a market every Saturday at his Manor of St Berian and three days fair on the Vigil, Feast and Morrow of St Berian and another on the Vigil, Feast and Morrow of St Martin in the winter." (Patent Rolls) This cross is the Deanery Market Cross and is still held by the Rector and churchwardens.